Thursday, May 26, 2011

10 minute poetry #1

Listen here while you read. 

It’s funny, listening to music that seems to move you 
with it’s sway
it’s sweet, deep, gentlemanly vibrato 
and then you listen to the lyrics-
nope-
the words don’t match up.
Are you allowed to still react the way you do to the song? 
While your heart is breaking, tears are shaking, 
vibrating, 
falling, 
they are singing about zombies, about puppy dogs, 
about silly things.

I was not ready for it, 
and I guess it’s not entirely here,
but something clicked on the plane today. 
I took a deep breath 
and stared at the seat in front of me 
and cried a little, 
sitting next to a couple from Lancaster 
when it happened.

I turned off.

I need to turn back on and not have anyone else do it for me. 
I think I just need to do it alone.
I can’t believe I text and then don’t send it. 
I can’t believe I dial your number and hang up.
But I have turned off.

No comments:

Post a Comment