Sunday, June 5, 2011

10 minute poetry #2

I learned to meditate last week.
It was a lot of sitting and thinking about my nose or at least
that is how I interpreted it.
Even while I was swatting and cursing mosquitos,
and thinking about my breathing and how much
my left hip was aching
I felt something.
I felt something like,
I can sit here for an hour and be peaceful.
I have it in me.

Last week I also learned how to contra dance,
with crooked old men and spritely young girls in the
school gym.
Not the high school gym, just the
school gym.
They sold watermelon by the slice, handed out waxy dixie cups of water.
I felt at home.
I felt in the country.
I felt ready to be still and move at the same time.

Last week I thought I learned where I wanted to be.
I thought I found heaven on earth. 
I biked and I breathed and I sat and I danced
all last week.
And then I came home and slept so soundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment